Sunday, September 4, 2011

Coffee Bean Tree Memorial

This weekend, I came across an item about my ancestor, John Gibbs (1769), the eldest son of Nicholas Gibbs (1733).  This document from the Nicholas Gibbs Historical Society told the story of the three brothers, John, Jacob and Nicholas Gibbs Jr. who fought together in the War of 1812. It is said that John and Nicholas were together at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, 55 miles south of Fort Strotler in lower Alabama.  Maj. Gen. Andrew Jackson of Tennessee Militia, Maj. Lemuel Montgomery, Capt. Nicholas Gibbs and Sam Houston, along with 2,000 soldiers fought the Creek Indians.  Nicholas Gibbs Jr., my 5th great-grand uncle was killed. His brother, John, my 6th great-grandfather, brought his cap and the coffee bean seeds found on him when he died to the Gibbs homestead where he planted the beans.  Today, there are supposed to be thriving trees still at the site. I would love to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment